Dairy Free French Toast With Homemade Blueberry Syrup
05 Oct 2013
French toast fans prepare yourself!
* Dairy Free
* Fruit Sweetened Only
There are so many variations for this you could eat it forever!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
* 1 slice Ezekiel 4:9 bread
* 1 Egg
* 1 tsp Cinnamon
* 1tsp Vanilla
* Pinch of Salt
* 1/3 cup Frozen Blueberries (I used Organic Wild Blueberries)
* 1tsp Light Coconut Milk
* 1 tsp Coconut Oil (or substitute cooking spray)
* Love :) (The Secret Ingredient)
1. Crack the egg in a container you will be able to dip the bread into. Add cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Mix.
2. Add coconut oil or cooking spray to pan and heat pan on meduim low heat.
3. Dip toast on both sided into the egg mixture and place into pan. Cook on one side until golden brown and then flip.
4. Either in a separate pan or in the same pan after the french toast was done and you removed it, add frozen blueberries and optional coconut milk to the pan. Heat all the way through until bubbling. The natural juice will form a "syrup" and you will have little delicious blueberry bits in there too. The coconut milk just makes it a little more creamy without adding too much of a coconut flavor and adds a little fat. 5. Pour over french toast.
I like to serve this with Applegate Farms chicken sausages or a side of turkey bacon.
You can adjust the quantities to feed however many people you need to. (2 eggs should make 3 pcs of toast)
Feel free to experiment using different frozen fruits. I do not recomment using fresh fruit as it does not produce as much "juice" when heating.
1 slice of french toast with blueberry syrup (not including any sides of meat) is 227 calories. This includes the coconut milk (4 cal) and the coconut oil (39 cal). Use cooking spray instead of coconut oil to reduce the calories down to 188. With those extra cals gone, you could add another chicken sausage or some more turkey bacon. :)
Since you will be having almost an entire can of leftover coconut milk, freeze the rest in pre-portioned cubes to pull out whenever you need.